Established in 1930, the club was originally named “The Ayr Road Club” by its founder members: Tom McKean, David Bell, Andrew Shearer, John Stewart and Andrew and James Robertson.
By the end of its first year, the club had 22 members.
In 1935, the club’s name was changed to Ayr Roads Cycling Club and it quickly distinguished itself by outstanding touring feats, a feature of the sport in which ARCC gained an enviable reputation.
Club riders have also had success on the racing scene at local and international level.
One name in particular which stands out in the Club's history is that of David Bell. He, probably more than anyone else, sowed the seeds of cycling interest in people’s minds from 1931 until his death in 1965.
He wrote under the name of The Highwayman and described countless scenes and wrote of thousands of incidents which make up the cyclist’s day in his weekly column in the Ayrshire Post.
Since 1966, the Club has held an annual road race in David Bell’s memory. The course takes in Rowantree Toll where a monument to David stands.
Ayr Roads Cycling Club has remained dedicated to its early reputation as a club of mile-eaters. Members have toured the length and breadth of the UK, competed on the continent, in California and as far afield as New Zealand.
Success has been achieved at local, district, national and international level with UCI medals won in the velodrome - not bad for a “road” club!
Another proud moment for the Club when Team Ghana came to stay...
The Ayr Roads Cycling Club was proud to be able to support Team Ghana during the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games.
Team Ghana were staying in Ayrshire in the run-up to the Games, so the Club was delighted to have the chance to show them some of the cycling highlights of the 'shire and get the chance to join them on some of their training runs.
Many thanks to the lads from Ghana for sharing their epic 2014 Commonwealth experience with the ARCC.
Ayr Roads Cycling Club and Harry Fairbairn
Harry Fairbairn's name is synomous with Ayr Roads Cycling Club and has been since 1942, when Harry and his older brother Jim became members of the club. Harry's mentor was Davie Bell, founder member of Ayr Roads.
From 1944, as a young novice, Harry distinguished himself as a true competitor.
Not only did he become club and district champion and multi record holder, but he became Scottish National Champion in the hill climb event on two occasions.
Harry opened a small bike repair shop in Waggon Road in Ayr in 1948 before moving to Montgomerie Street in Irvine, where he acquired larger shop premises. During this time, he continued with his first love of cycling with his wife Margaret, now our club president. When Harry died during a cycling holiday in Majorca in 1996, an obituary article in a national newspaper reported his death as "owner of major car dealership and cyclist" - that summed him up admirably.
Harry eventually branched out into the motorised two-wheels sales and in the 1970's, took on the then obscure BMW marque.
From there, it is history with the name Harry Fairbairn and BMW forever linked.
When sponsorship entered the cycling scene, Harry was delighted to be given the opportunity of sponsoring his beloved club and we became Ayr Roads CC/Harry Fairbairn.
Official sponsorship commenced on 30 September 1988 and has continued until the present day - twenty seven years, one of the longest running sponsorships in the Scottish cycling scene.
During that time, Ayr Roads CC/Harry Fairbairn has won District, Scottish, European and World Championship medals at all levels and has held Scottish Records at Junior and Senior Level and now Ladies Senior. The Ayr Roads/Harry Fairbairn colours have been proudly displayed throughout the UK, Europe and as far away as Australia and New Zealand.